From the MarketingSherpa Email Summit 2011, here are some key takeaways to improve the effectiveness of email marketing.
- Relevance - Content is worthless if you have the wrong audience.
- Overcome internal resistance - Demonstrate the ROI from email marketing.
- Emails shouldn't sell products. Instead, they should start the conversation. Let the landing page sell the product.
- Effective use of social media requires more than just Like or Follow buttons in an email.
- Avoid the junk box by sending emails that consistently get opened.
- Tailor your emails with mobile devices in mind.
- Real-time marketing has many advantages over planned, scheduled marketing.